Life in a small town, part 1

There are a lot of adjustments to living in a small Alaskan town. One of the biggest is the concept of one small grocery store that only receives stock once a week, and not much of that. There are very limited products to choose from, and the ones that are available are unusually expensive. We have been making some changes to accommodate these twin issues of availability and affordability. One great help is that Randy is baking bread again. He’s been baking loaves and sandwich rolls and now has a sourdough starter ready to use.



















For my part, I have been using my own version of laundry detergent for the past several months. It’s based on a recipe that my Mom got from the show “17 Kids and Counting”, and not only is it less expensive than commercial laundry detergent, but I don’t have to depend on the store having any in stock. We have also cut down on soda; I used to have half a dozen Diet Cokes every day, but now I have one. This is mostly a health change and it's not too hard because we have great-tasting well water here, but the lack of reasonably-priced soda help keep me on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment