The story behind Randy's Nuremberg soup...

Early day today! Randy, Jim and I were up and out by 7:30, headed to Köln (in English we spell it "Cologne"). Along the way I learned that "Ausfarht" is German for "exit". We had some expensive coffee and tea in a coffee house before going to see the Kölner Dom, which is a huge, gorgeous cathedral. 
We walked around to look at the town. Each town we visit is so unique.
There was a bit of a chilly wind, so I took to wearing my neck scarf as a headscarf. Randy said I looked like a peasant girl!
Randy bought a garlic press in one of the stores before we stopped for a quick lunch: "brots" and "brok" and frits and beer, which was all pretty good. 

Then we drove to Nuremberg, where we checked into a hotel before walking around the local castle from the outside. The castle is really a group of medieval buildings. They are built along the lines of "circling the wagons", with the fortified outside walls of the buildings joined to each other to create a protective enclosure. The tall Heathen's Tower stands tall along in the middle of the southern wall. 
The Sinwell Tower (which means round) stands at the end of the enclosure, near one of the gates. 
It's pretty impressive; Randy and I planned how we would set up the courtyard, when we buy the place! We could have Jimmy over for BBQ!
That night we had dinner in a brat house, where they had good brats, but the star of the meal was a great potato soup in little copper pots. Randy ordered this but I didn't, because I don't like potato soup. He offered me a taste, and I liked it so much that I ended up eating most of it! Randy, being the sort of person who can do this, quickly listed the soup ingredients for me to write down, so he can recreate the soup at home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment