Visitors in the night...and day

This morning, as usual, we took Shorty for a walk and, as usual, I was on poop-scoop duty. When we got back I went to throw the baggie away and discovered our trash can was nowhere in sight. There was nothing to indicate where it went except that one of the decorative concrete pieces that border our driveway was turned over.  With only that as a guide, Randy stood in our front yard and looked. And across the road, through several neighbors' yards, where the state park backs up to the mobile park, he saw it. 
Our trash was lying about but to our surprise, the can and the bag were pretty much undamaged. We scooped the trash back into the bag, set the bag back in the can, and Randy trucked it back home. Our place isn't even visible from here!
Whatever took the can, it wasn't bothered by the automatic senor lights in our driveway. The only marks we found were a couple of little punctures on the lid. I imagine anything big enough to drag the whole can so far would be pretty big; maybe these are the marks of an opportunistic critter who found it after the theft? 

Later as I was working in the carport area, I head tiny little sounds on our dock. When I investigated, I found a lovely bird walking along the railing. 
He's a Limpkin, related to cranes. This, then, is what has been eating the apple snails from our canal. I don't mind; apple snails are invasive anyway. I've been collecting the empty shells; he looked them over as if he was fondly remembering past meals.
After he left, a couple of blue-eyed Ibis showed up to check out the pile of water weeds Randy pulled out to dry. "Morning, Ralph". "Morning, Sam". 
Above me a faint rustle showed me where a young squirrel was hiding. He was so surprised that I saw him - he thought he was invisible!





No comments:

Post a Comment