Kelly Springs Float Trip

We started the day with leftovers - oatmeal, Greek combinations, bacon, whatever. All good. We got on the road by 9 this morning, headed to Kelley Springs. We brought our inner-tubes and lots of sunscreen. By this time, though, I was tired of burning in new places, so I just left my shorts and t-shirt on. 

Kelly Springs is wonderful - a cool flow of crystal clear water that moves inner-tubes along without any real effort on our part. There are a couple of areas where it helps to paddle a bit to guide, but this float is just the most relaxing thing to do!

My only issue was that I couldn't take my camera! And I missed it: as we floated along, on one side of the bank was a sign stating this was a "Sensitive Environment". Perched on the sign were two big black vultures, just watching the humans float by. Hoping for a quick meal?

We made 4 trips, pausing to take a snack break on chips and cookies at the truck. After each float we'd climb out and walk back to the beginning. And there are some mean horseflies along that route.  

On the 3rd float I tried to reposition myself and dunked myself instead. Since I don't like cold water, I flailed around like I was drowning and succeeded in breaking my toe. 

Nevermind, it was a wonderful day! We left when we got tired and stopped at Ichiban for a late lunch/early dinner. That set us up for an evening of watching a couple of movies and enjoying Randy's Key Lime Pie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment