Italian Lions

 While we were in Venice we saw a lot of lovely lion statues, all with wings. Turns out that a winged lion is the symbol for St. Mark and St Mark is the patron saint of Venice. 

The large Victor Emmanuel II monument had a lady and lion on opposite sides. The chained lion represents Venice under Austrian rule.  Chained, but definitely not surrendered. 

On the other side is the freed lion, ready to fight. LOVE this!
In another area is another large winged lion. This one had empty eye sockets which freaked me out so much the I added eyes in.  At least it doesn't look blind anymore.
Above the door of St. Mark's is very stately winged lion, with his book
And over another doorway.
There were several lions in Rome, too, although they don't have wings. I like these two; they are guarding something and look like cats that got ticked off by being disturbed.  
My favorite is still this one from Rome. I know his mouth is too big and his expression is not very fierce, but I just like him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment