Chrysalises at the end of Day 3

I checked on the chrysalises several more times but didn't see any change.  The day was getting colder and windier and I was getting worried about what would happen to them overnight. Eventually I went inside for an hour or so and when I came back out it was empty!! I missed it! 

OK, I can deal with that but I also could not find the butterfly. Maybe it already dried and took off? I called Randy out and he immediately saw it on the opposite side of the drainpipe, still drying its wings. The wind may have helped that but the dropping temperature did not. 

I texted Judy, a lady in the park who is raising Monarchs for release. She and her husband jumped in the golf cart and came right over. She asked if we wanted her to take them. She has an indoor setup where they can be safe through this weather so I said sure, I'd love her to save them! She gently took the butterfly while her husband cut off the section of the rope that the other chrysalis was attached to, then they took them both home. 

Soon Judy sent me pics of them relaxing at her place - so cute! She'll keep them overnight and maybe a day or two, until the weather is good enough to release them to fly south. 

No comments:

Post a Comment