1/13/89 Friday - Last Day at Metallo Chimique

1/13/89 Friday - I got up at 7:15 but got to work at 9. As usual, the first order of the day was to go over my notes to see if they are clear enough. I went with Stef and Mike to hook up the warehouse system in the next building, but they do not have the correct libraries.  Apparently they need the libraries that are in Holland’s facility. So Mario drove us 1½ hours to the warehouse in Holland, where we made a backup of their libraries, then drove back to Metallo. That killed the morning, so next Stef took us to lunch in Tournhout. I had turkey that was broiled in a sauce with pineapple, then fried. They served Palm beer, which was pretty good beer. Back at work we finished setting up the warehouse system. I talked with Allan, Martina and Stef for awhile. I will be in Spain on Monday at the Ercosa refining plant, and I don't speak Spanish. There is an American woman named Rita already at Ercoso, so they taught me how to say one sentence in Spanish: "Por favor, puedo hablar con Rita?", which means "please, may I speak to Rita?". If the answer was "no", or "huh?", I would be out of luck! But I was sure it would be OK.

At the end of the day Allan and I went back to the villa, and around 7 pm Lou took us to Tournhout. It was late but some clothing stores were still open. Their clothes were about twice as expensive as they would be in the US, and I didn't care much for the colors, particularly the orange color that seems popular now. For dinner I had shark fin, snails, red wine and coffee. I thought the shark was OK but not great. Snails taste OK too, but I don’t like to eat them. Allen wanted to show us his new apartment; he will be moving from the Villa asap. He has been trying to get an apartment for 3 or 4 months. The apartment is company-supplied and they couldn’t/wouldn’t make up their minds. It was an early night tonight - we were back at the villa by 11:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment