January 7, 2010

Jackie's update: I have been taking some time off of blogging. Not sure why, I just didn’t get in front of the PC for a few days (including email, so I have some catching up to do). So now, to avoid looking back on the beginning of 2010 and wondering what in the world I did, I need to jot down some scattered notes.

First - yesterday afternoon we got a call from Bonnie and Ken! I worked with both of them at Enterprise several years ago until they retired. They have been full time RVing since 2001 - that was the first time I had heard of this lifestyle, and that is when we started investigating it. They are currently at an Escapee RV park near Casa Grande, so we drove over to see them. They are both doing fine and still having a great time. It was so good to see them!!! Bonnie does the most beautiful beadwork I’ve ever seen. She makes jewelry and amulet bags that are prettier than anything you can buy anywhere. They have already made 2 trips to Alaska and gave us some good information. We also located some other friends (Frances and JoAnne) who recently moved from Quail Run to the same Escapee park. Frances and Jo’s RV has double slide outs, so eventually 10 of us ended up there, sitting around and talking for a long time.

Other miscellaneous items and random thoughts...

Randy already mentioned the hike up Picacho. On the way there we thought we’d get a breakfast biscuit at Carl’s Jr, which in the Midwest is aka Hardee’s, and Hardee’s is famous for their biscuits. But out here biscuits are not on the menu at all. What they did serve was unmemorable and pricier than a fast-food breakfast should be, so we won’t stop bother with it again. I think my favorite part of that day was soaking in the Park’s hot tub after the 6 mile hike!

Randy gave a cooking class this week about soups. 11 people came to the class and everyone seemed to have a great time. He is so good at that – at one point he had two different soups going at the same time, and still kept everything straight!

Recently we drove to the Phoenix area and had breakfast at a place called Joe’s Farm, which was recommended by Skip at the park. It was a bit unusual - one of their signature dishes is waffles with short ribs on top of the waffles. That doesn’t sound good, but it was.

One of the RVers in our group won the RV Christmas decorating contest, so she decided to treat some of the gang to Pizza night out. Since Pizza Hut is still having the “any pizza for $10” special, we went there and had a nice evening with friends.

Randy mentioned the New Year's Eve party, but he didn't mention that he was asked to work with the Activity team for 2 days on the appetizers. As usual, everything turned out great! It was one of their better parties.

Yesterday some of the women in our group went to see “It’s Complicated” at the local theater.

And despite the fact that most of my blog is about food, I continue to lose weight. I have a long way to go, but now I fit into the smallest jeans I have with me, and I haven’t been able to fit into them for a couple of years. Thank you, Cracker Barrel!

No comments:

Post a Comment