Tea Party Themes - March 20, 2013

I recently learned that we are near the Charleston Tea Plantation, which is supposed to be the only Tea Plantation in the Continental US.  So I decided that since we have a local tea here, we should have a Southern Hospitality Tea Party at the RV Park.  I made two pots of the tea served it with some Southern classics: Cheese Straws, Pralines, and Old Fashioned Ambrosia (all made by Randy, of course!).  Southern Ambrosia is nothing like the Ambrosia I used to have in Illinois.  That was a fruit salad of crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows and mandarin oranges in whipped cream, and always topped with maraschino cherries.  Southern Ambrosia is a lot simpler - less ingredients and never any whipped cream.  I used the oldest recipe I could find, which was just oranges slices with a bit of sugar and fresh coconut sprinkled in, and marinated overnight.
I found the picture frame that is on the table at the "Worlds Largest Yard Sale" last Saturday.  I couldn't pass it up, since it cost just a quarter.  So I printed a copy of the painting "Southern Belle" by Erich Correns and put it in the frame as a centerpiece.  The funny part is that although Correns called the painting "Southern Belle", it's really a portrait of the famous Swedish coloratura suprano, Jenny Lind.  I guess that just proves we can all be Southern Belles if we try!
I thought the tea itself tasted pretty good.  Not as good as my favorite, Marks and Spencer's Tea.  But enjoyable.  That's a good thing, because American Classic Tea has been the official tea of the White House since 1987.
I served my beloved Marks and Spencer tea a couple of weeks ago when I hosted a Low Tea.  Although High Tea is much more common, I really like Low Tea.  It's not as fancy as High Tea and there isn't as much food, so for me, it's a perfect little tea-time.  For that party I served miniature scones with clotted cream and jam, cucumber and mint sandwiches and frosted lemon cookies.  As always, Randy came through, making everything just the way it should be.

One Year Ago:  Perks of working near Disneyland, CA
Two Years Ago:  Family and Chinese Food in Oklahoma
Three Years Ago: Being a Tourist in LA, California

No comments:

Post a Comment