Tile work

Recently our pretty new bathroom floor developed a blemish. I used an Airwick plugin which leaked, and whatever they put in the formula is strong enough to ruin a vinyl floor. It bubbled up, and when I fiddled with it, the top layer came off.
Even though this was behind the toilet, it had to be fixed. I had glued down each tile, so I knew there was glue under the whole thing. I researched on-line how to remove tiles. After looking at several options, I decided to use a hot iron, with a damp cloth in-between, to loosen the glue, then pry it up gently with a little putty knife. I gathered my tools together and then, before heating the iron, I pushed the tip of the knife in at the edge of the tile. And the whole thing just popped up! 
For a moment I was of two minds; 
  (1) Yeah, that was easy!  
  (2) .... but I did the research, I got the tools, I was ready.

I quickly dropped the second thought and rejoiced that I didn't have to sweat over it. The next step was to cut a new piece. I had saved a few tiles from the original job so I already had tiles to work with. I have never liked the small bit of tile at the end of the floor grate - it didn't hug the wall enough. The wall has a curve in it (flimsy material) and when I did the job the first time I didn't compensate for that. But since I didn't have to do a lot of work to pry the tiles up, I had plenty of time to fix it. The section I didn't like was part that the grate sits on. That particular tile was a total pain to do originally because of the odd curve around the door trim. It took me several tries to get it acceptable and I wasn't going to do that part again, so I just replaced the very end section. I need to pretty up the lines between the tiles, put some paintable caulk along the edge by the wall and paint the caulk blue, but it already looks better.

No comments:

Post a Comment