2 weeks in Illinois

Summertime is one of the best times to visit Mom. Besides the regular trips to Walmart, Goodwill, Etcetera  and the book stores, we can go yard-saling. This time we hit the mother-load: a 6-mile long community yard sale in Pekin! Mary was with us, which made it even more fun. I would drop them off at a promising yard, park the car where ever I could, then walk over and join them. After we'd walked through a few yards, I go back to the car, come pick them up, then drive a bit further along the road. There was everything from junk to antiques, and lots of it!
Another day I drove over to see my sister-in-law Sharon. We got to visit awhile before her husband Dave showed up. He visits when he can but his health isn't very good, either. 
Back in Washington I picked up my role as chauffeur. It's fun to be able to drive Mom around. My sisters will drive her anywhere, anytime, but because they are the ones she calls on for important stuff like doctor visits and weekly grocery runs, she doesn't like to ask them to spend extra time as she dawdles. And she does love to dawdle! So we go to Walmart or Dollar General and just spend as much time as she wants. 

By the way, I cannot believe how cheap some groceries are here! A gallon of milk for under a dollar? We haven't seen that in years!

I joined Mom at her monthly Red Hat meeting. These lades have been getting together for several years. Mom's dear friend Margaret (hatless this time) always drives Mom and sits next to her at lunch to help Mom hear what's going on. 

At home Mom has a small windmill she wanted to set up so she could watch it from her kitchen window. It was pretty simple to assemble, and in a good spot to catch even a small breeze. She's pretty happy with it.
Her yard is still neatly cared for but because she doesn't spend much time there, the rabbits are getting bolder. Some of them look a little more like hares than rabbits.
I went back to Chilicothe to visit Sharon again. This time I got permission to take her outside, where we sat in the breeze and talked a lot of things, but mostly about men. You are never too old for some things!



No comments:

Post a Comment