08/26/09 After the party

After my retirement party at work we went to dinner at Schafley’s with Aaron, Dezina, Randy and Mom.  

Thursday we drove mom around St. Louis – The Basilica and the new City Park.  Then we took her back to Washington.  I spent the night at Theresa’s and went to Mom’s on Friday. We had bologna for lunch and went to the resale shop. In the afternoon we went garage sale-ing. On Saturday mom fixed biscuits and gravy.  Kathy came over and we went garage sale-ing again. In the afternoon I drove to Theresa’s. For dinner we had smoked pork butt and mac-and-cheese. Sunday morning we took Tomm and Theresa to the Granite City brunch.  

Monday Betsy Bernard and Lisa Eggemeyer gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers, and Betsy made chocolate cookies for me. Kathy Jenkins from the 2-1 Sync team gave me a box of Godiva chocolates. Vanissa Kirk brought me a chocolate-pecan Kringle from Racine, Wisconsin because she visited her family there over the weekend. And Tom Davidson bought me lunch at Triumph restaurant, which has a motorcycle museum attached to it.

Tuesday  Kathy Jenkins, Carrie Whipkey, Vanissa Kirk and Kerry Jones bought me lunch at the Pasta House. Love this team!

Yesterday afternoon I drove to Weldon Spring to say a last goodbye to some of the folks who could not make it to Clayton. That was kind of tough to do.  It’s hard to admit that I probably won’t see them again. I am going to try to keep in touch, but it’s not the same as visiting in person. Zhengyan kept crying – she is really going to miss me! But most of the folks are really, really happy for me, and a bit jealous. I think I have got several folks considering if there is an alternative to working until you are 65. That is what Bonnie Woepke did for me when she left Enterprise and started RVing, so perhaps someone else will decide to do this, or to do something else that changes their life. That would be very, very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment