Outdoors

Our tomatoes didn't grow this year either; we may be done trying to grow them here. But the old wooden trough I got last year at a yard sale is doing better than ever as a flower planter. Next year I may try to do this in the front yard.
Sometimes in the morning, as Shorty and I come back from his morning walk, we find a small flock of White Ibis on our lawn (I am using the words "walk" and "lawn" rather loosely). They are congenial amongst themselves and like to hang out together, but are properly shy of people and dogs, so they move out long before we get there. A shame, really, because I like them. 
Other wildlife I am less fond of are big stinkin' spiders. But the yellow garden spider on a neighbors' tree was so pretty. It's an orb weaver, which makes it kin to the amazing (but still freaky) Golden Orb spider. Unlike the Golden Orb, you wouldn't want to wear a cloak of this spider's web. But she's pretty, anyway. I know it's a she because, unlike birds, in this species the female is the attractive one. She put up with my attention for a few moments, then started bouncing her web. Not sure exactly what was going on in her little spider brain, but I know it wasn't "welcome", so I left her alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment